Monday, February 7, 2011

The Yellow Wallpaper


The Yellow Wallpaper is a short story by Charlotte Perkins Gilman about a woman who descends into madness when she becomes preoccupied with the patterned yellow wallpaper in her room. This work has been classified as Gothic/horror fiction and was published in 1892. I am a huge lover of Victorian fiction, particularly the feminist works coming out at this time. When we studied this story in high school, I couldn't help but associate it with a certain shade of yellow-- the very same Toxic Yellow I chose to explore this semester. How could I not bring up this story?!

In the story, the protagonist is disgusted with the hue. She's repulsed by its "foulness" and as she has olfactory hallucinations, she is disgusted by its "yellow smell." I think it's fascinating that an author called on a color to be the catalyst of action and a vital character in the story. The work realizes the influence of environment and color on the psyche.  

Personally, I absolutely love this color. Although bright, I see it as romantic and sinister. Toxic Yellow has a dark glamor which I find very sexy. I see it as simultaneously repellent and alluring, and there I find the appeal. The same goes for this story. It is disturbing but captivating-so apropos! I hope you will find some time for give it read and add a new dimension to understanding color.

The Yellow Wallpaper

No comments:

Post a Comment